A year ago I was a solitary knitter with no one to share my knitting joys and obsessions with. Even though I'd been knitting for a number of years, I am self taught and lacked the confidence to try so many things. Then in April of 07 I had surgery on my shoulder and couldn't knit or do much of anything for a while. In an effort to save my sanity (and his too) my hubby introduced me to knitting blogs.
Wow! Who knew? My life was so wrapped up in the day to day of having two kids and a home, I had no idea.
Within a month I joined my first swap, got on the waiting list for Ravelry, and started my very own blog. That was one year ago today.
Amazing how one small event (in this case trying to teach my son how to cross the monkey bars) can lead to so much. A year later: I've tried cables, lace, sweaters, socks, shadow knitting, modular knitting, and machine knitting; I not only write my own blog but contribute 4 regular columns to the Daily Chum, and best of all I have tons of new friends to share it all with. Truly life changing for me.
So thank you for reading, thank you for encouraging and inspiring me, and thank you for helping me find something that brings me so much joy. I feel like I've found the place I belong.
I thought it was a fitting day to announce another first for me and to give back a little. My first original pattern for sale.
As a thank you I will be giving away a copy of the pattern and the yarn to knit it (Hazel Knits Artisan Sock). For those who don't win and are interested in the pattern, I plan to have it ready for PDF download on Ravelry by next Monday.
How can you win? I'm going to list 10 things about me you might not know and might be surprised by, but only 9 of them are true. Guess which one isn't true and leave it in the comments. I'll do a random drawing of those who guess correctly. If no one is correct I'll do a random drawing of everyone in the comments. Good luck! You have until next Monday.
- I have lived in 20 different houses or apartments in my lifetime.
- My left foot is 3/4 " longer than the right.
- I can (and did) drive a combine.
- My favorite ice cream flavor of all time is Ben & Jerry's Chocolate with Peanut Butter Cookie dough. I'm was devestated when they canceled it.
- One summer I drove from Seattle to Detroit (and back) in an RV with my girlfriend, her 1 year old, and my kids (2 and 4 months at the time).
- I won the district spelling bee in 4th grade.
- While out with my "friends" I drank to much and was convinced it was a good idea to enter a best body contest at a local bar. I was 21.
- I won a grand champion ribbon for my Swedish Apple Cake at the state fair. I was 12.
- Big Trouble in Little China is one of my all time favorite movies.
- I have had at least one dog in my life since being giving my first on my 7th birthday. I currently have two.